YOGA is a spiritual discipline that involves deep breathing, meditation, and physical poses.
The main philosophy being that the mind, body, and spirit are all connected as one. Its focus is to bring harmony to the mind and body, providing health and relaxation to those who participate.
This ancient practice originated in India over 5,000 years ago. It is traced back to sacred texts, the first text to mention the word “yoga” being the Rig Veda. It is now a common and popular practice around the world.
A person who practices yoga is called a yogi. Here at A Dancing Yogi we encourage everyone to participate and experience the benefits. Just be willing to take the first step onto the mat, and eventually you will learn that it is not just about the physical postures, but instead the balanced state of the body and mind.
The word “yoga” comes from the Sanskrit root “Yuj” meaning “union.” Therefore, yoga is about much more than just physical exercise, it is about the experience of oneness and harmony. It is about being aware of the mind, which can be very difficult. This is why it is so important to be able to understand your thoughts and emotions and how they relate to your body.
Still not convinced? Check out just some of the benefits a regular yoga practice can bring.
● increased flexibility
● improved balance
● increased muscle strength
● reduced weight
● improved athletic performance
● improved cardio and circulatory health
● maintain a balanced metabolism
● protection from injury
● improved concentration, memory, focus, and creativity
● reduced stress and anxiety
● reduced depression
● improved sleep
● increased control of the body and mind
● increased emotional stability
● increased self-awareness and acceptance
● more positive view of yourself and others